High Quality Rivets for CNC Machines(manual machining Burton)
- source:ESKRIDGE CNC Machining
What Makes a High Quality CNC Rivet?
There are several factors that contribute to a high quality rivet optimized for CNC machinery:
Material - Aircraft grade aluminum is the most common. Stainless steel, copper, and titanium alloys are also options. The material must be durable, corrosion resistant, and suitable for the application.
Strength - Rivets come in various grip lengths and strengths. Using the right strength rating for the application ensures the rivet has sufficient shear and tensile strength.
Precision - Quality CNC rivets have an extremely precise shank diameter and head shape. This allows automated riveting machines to function properly.
Uniformity - All rivets in a batch should have minimal variations in size, shape, strength, and appearance. This consistency allows for optimized CNC machine settings.
Coatings - Some rivets have special coatings like anti-corrosion substances or dry lubricants that facilitate automated installation.
How are Quality CNC Rivets Manufactured?
CNC optimized rivets go through a rigorous manufacturing process:
- Raw material rods are extruded into wire of the desired diameter.
- The wire is precision cut to form rivet blanks of consistent length.
- Blanks are upset forged to form the rivet head. CNC tools ensure uniformity.
- Shanks may be machined for an exact diameter and surface finish.
- Heat treating improves strength.
- Threading, coating, or other secondary processes are completed.
- Automated quality control measures check each rivet.
- Rivets are packaged for cleanliness and ease of automated feeding.
By utilizing CNC processes themselves, manufacturers can produce rivets to tight tolerances perfect for automated riveting applications.
Applications of Quality CNC Rivets
CNC riveting machines are commonly used for:
- Aircraft assembly - Fuselage skins, wings, empennage, and other components are riveted together. Aerospace-grade rivets are required.
- Automotive manufacturing - Doors, panels, frames, and chassis components are riveted with a high degree of automation. Specialty rivets resist vibration.
- Electronics - Rivets assemble cases, frames, and internal components of many electronics. Tiny micro-rivets are ideal.
- Appliances - Washer/dryer drums, refrigerator panels, and HVAC components rely on CNC riveting machinery. Corrosion resistant rivets are key.
- Construction - CNC rivet tools create steel structures, bridges, and buildings quickly. Structural rivets with high tensile strength are used.
- Custom fabrication - Shops use CNC riveting for one-off products. Flexibility to run different rivet sizes and materials is important.
Top Quality CNC Rivet Brands
Some of the leading manufacturers of optimized CNC rivets include:
- Avdel - Offers a full range of standard, specialty, and micro rivets for all applications. Known for consistency and quality control.
- Stanley Engineered Fastening - Leading brand like Emhart and Pop provide aircraft, industrial, and specialty rivets.
- L.H. Dottie - Supplies aluminum, steel, stainless, and specialty rivets for all needs. Comprehensive selection.
- Cherry - Trusted brand for aircraft, commercial, and military rivets. Made in the USA.
- Boellhoff - Major global supplier of standard and specialty CNC rivets, inserts, and automatic tooling.
- PennEngineering - Innovator in fastener technology, including self-clinching and weld rivets ideal for CNC automation.
- Fatigue Technology - Focuses on high-strength, fatigue-resistant rivets for critical applications.
- B.A.L.T. Fasteners - Good source for hard-to-find rivets in materials like Monel, silicon bronze, and more.
Using quality rivets designed for automated CNC applications leads to faster production times, lower assembly costs, consistent quality, and reduced machine maintenance. Paying attention to material, precision, coatings, and sourcing from a reputable CNC rivet manufacturer are smart strategies for maximizing factory productivity and riveted product longevity. With improved access to specialty and standard rivets, factories can take full advantage of CNC riveting to streamline manufacturing. CNC Milling CNC Machining